Monday, May 13, 2013

My Mother's Day Flowers- Shade Annuals

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of flowers. Luke has always known that the easiest way to my heart is through a big bunch of blooms, and so holidays requiring a gift are a no-brainer for him.

While I love cut flowers, I prefer to get plants, because then I can enjoy them longer. The challenge comes in with our balcony; we have a north-facing balcony that only gets a little bit of sun in the morning. A lot of flowers are only part shade or mostly sun, so we are limited in what we can grow.

The other part of the challenge is that I can be a little picky about flowers. I am bored by the "traditional" shade plants (like impatiens or hostas), and we can't grow the plants that have that huge WOW factor due to our limited space and sun.

Luke found me some awesome plants, though. They don't look like much yet, but they're going to grow into impressive flowers as the summer goes on.

1. Begonia

I know what you're thinking- begonias are a common, traditional plant.
 They are my one exception to my "no boring plants" rule.
A begonia was the first plant I ever grew myself, and so it has a special place in my heart.



2. Torenia (AKA- Wishbone Flower)

This flower blooms from early summer all the way until frost,
which means we'll get to enjoy it for months.




3. Nierembergia

 
This plant will eventually get small purple flowers on it.
I'm excited to see what it becomes!

 

So there you have it! My Mother's Day gift. As usual, Luke did a great job. :)
 

 
I'm so grateful to have this first Mother's Day with Grace as well. She turned 6 months old yesterday. This year is flying by! This time last year, she was just a little bean in my tummy.
 
"Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward."
Psalm 127:3
 
Hope all the mothers out there had a wonderful day!
Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment